Moist Vanilla Layer Cake Recipe
This vanilla layer cake is the one cake that everybody must know the best way to make. Three layers of moist, fluffy vanilla cake are crammed and frosted with wealthy vanilla buttercream. It’s splendidly easy and completely heavenly.
The Finest Vanilla Layer Cake Recipe
I’ve been experimenting with vanilla desserts for years now attempting to get the flavour and texture excellent. It’s a little bit of a operating joke. However in an try and fulfill everybody and all of the totally different preferences on the market, I’ve arrived at a number of variations of vanilla cake and cupcakes through the years so as to please everybody.
This recipe is my most up-to-date and “ultimate” recipe. I’ve taken the entire suggestions through the years integrated into this cake. It has the entire issues you might need in a vanilla cake. The cake itself is gentle and fluffy however with sufficient substance to chunk into. It’s completely moist and topped with a wealthy buttercream frosting that’s simply to die for. The seek for the right vanilla cake is over. I can’t wait so that you can see (or style, fairly) what I imply.
Why You’ll Love This Straightforward Vanilla Cake
A easy, simple, moist vanilla layer cake? Everybody wants one of their recipe assortment. Listed here are just a few the reason why this one, particularly, is 100% mandatory for each baker to strive.
- Texture. Creaming collectively the butter, oil, sugar, and vanilla extract till they’re fluffy provides this cake a splendidly ethereal texture. Not like desserts that solely make the most of egg whites, nevertheless, this one makes use of entire eggs. The inclusion of the yolks provides the cake the right quantity of substance and richness. So it’s not too ethereal and never too heavy. It’s excellent. Plus, the addition of oil makes the vanilla cake completely moist.
- Flavorful. I like the delicate vanilla taste of this cake. It makes it universally loveable. The usage of butter along with oil provides the cake further richness and taste as properly. It’s severely so good.
- Easy recipe. Whereas you’ll nonetheless should comply with a number of steps to make the batter, this recipe requires an easier mixing methodology than many different desserts with out compromising texture or taste.
- Versatile. Everybody wants a easy vanilla cake of their life. It’s the excellent canvas for a wide range of totally different fillings and frostings. I used a vanilla buttercream right here however be at liberty to experiment! Take a look at the part under titled “Adorning Suggestions & Concepts” for inspiration.
What You’ll Want
Right here’s a listing of components you will want to make this simple vanilla cake. Be certain to scroll to the recipe card under for detailed measurements.
- All-purpose flour – You wish to be certain to not over measure your flour, or you might find yourself with dry, dense cake. Be happy to make use of your favourite 1:1 gluten-free flour as an alternative.
- Baking powder – In relation to vanilla cake, I want baking powder over baking soda. It provides the cake a pleasant bakery-style texture and retains the colour lighter.
- Salt – All the time wanted for taste.
- Unsalted butter – The butter should be at room temperature. In any other case, it is not going to cream correctly with the sugar, oil, and vanilla extract.
- Vegetable oil – The vegetable oil provides a pleasant moistness to this cake.
- Sugar – Sugar provides each sweetness and moisture and impacts the ultimate texture of the cake.
- Vanilla extract – A superb high quality extract is really helpful for nice vanilla taste.
- Eggs – They need to be giant eggs (not medium or further giant) and it’s best that they’re at room temperature in order that they incorporate extra simply with the opposite components.
- Milk – I take advantage of 2% milk however be at liberty to make use of entire milk. The fats within the milk provides moisture and texture to the cake.
- Unsalted butter – The butter ought to be at room temperature so that you simply don’t get a lumpy frosting.
- Powdered sugar – This provides quantity to the frosting and impacts the consistency. Much less powdered sugar will provide you with a thinner frosting that doesn’t maintain up as properly to issues like piping, and extra powdered sugar will provide you with a stiffer frosting that stays precisely the place you set it.
- Vanilla extract
- Heavy cream – This provides a beautiful creaminess to the frosting and can be utilized to skinny it out if it will get too thick.
- Salt – For taste. It additionally might help minimize down on the sweetness.
- Sprinkles – I used a mixture that’s just like these sprinkles. Be happy to make use of your favourite.
How you can Make Vanilla Layer Cake
Right here’s a fast overview of the best way to make this simple vanilla layer cake. You’ll want to scroll to the recipe card under for extra detailed directions.
For the cake
- Prep. Line the underside of three 8-inch cake pans with parchment paper circles and grease the perimeters. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Whisk collectively the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Beat collectively the butter, sugar, oil, and vanilla extract till gentle in coloration and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one after the other, mixing to mix after every addition.
- Add. Combine. Add half of the dry components to the batter and blend to mix. Slowly add the milk and blend to mix. Add the remaining dry components and blend till easy.
- Bake. Divide the batter between the cake pans. Bake for 22-25 minutes.
- Cool. Take away the desserts from the oven and permit them to chill for 2-3 minutes earlier than transferring them to wire racks to chill fully.
For the frosting
- Beat the butter till easy.
- Add. Combine. Add half of the powdered sugar. Combine till easy. Add the vanilla extract, 4-5 tablespoons of heavy cream, and salt. Combine till easy. Add the remaining powdered sugar. Combine till easy.
- Refine the consistency. If the frosting is simply too thick, add further heavy cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, and blend till easy. Take a look at my tutorial on the best way to get the proper consistency of frosting.
To assemble the cake
- Take away the domes from the highest of the desserts with a big serrated knife.
- Stack. Place the primary cake on a serving plate and unfold 1 cup of frosting excessive. Repeat with the second layer and the third.
- Frost the surface of the cake. Discuss with my tutorial for frosting a easy cake, if wanted.
- Beautify. Press sprinkles into the perimeters of the cake and pipe swirls of frosting across the high edge. Add just a few extra sprinkles to the highest of the cake.
Suggestions for Success
Are you feeling intimidated by the thought of constructing a layer cake? Don’t be. You are able to do this! Simply comply with these easy suggestions and tips to get the perfect outcomes doable.
- Measure flour accurately. One of many greatest errors folks make is over or underneath measuring flour. Most frequently the flour is over measured and it provides you a dry cake. I extremely advocate utilizing a food scale and weighing your flour to keep away from this. If you happen to want to not use a meals scale, I like to recommend the spoon and stage methodology.
- Room temperature components. The butter within the batter ought to be at room temperature. In any other case, it is not going to cream correctly with the sugar, oil, and vanilla and you will see your self with a very dense cake. The eggs must also be at room temperature. They are going to incorporate extra simply with the opposite components which can assist to forestall over-mixing. The butter within the buttercream ought to be at room temperature as properly. Whether it is too chilly, you’ll find yourself with a lumpy frosting.
- Don’t skimp on creaming time. When beating collectively the butter, sugar, oil, and vanilla, accomplish that till the combination is gentle in coloration and good and fluffy. This could take 2-3 minutes. This can assist make the cake itself gentle and fluffy.
- Don’t over combine. Over mixing the cake batter after you add the flour will trigger the glutens within the flour to overdevelop. This will provide you with a troublesome, dense cake.
- Scrape the bowl. As you’re including components to the batter and mixing to include them, be sure you scrape the perimeters of the bowl periodically. This can deliver any components caught to the bowl again into the batter.
- Cool earlier than frosting. It’s important that you simply permit the desserts to chill fully earlier than stacking, filling, and frosting. If they’re too heat, the frosting will soften proper off the cake.
Adorning Suggestions & Concepts
I lined this moist, fluffy vanilla cake with white buttercream frosting and rainbow sprinkles however one of many nice issues about this recipe is that it’s so versatile. Listed here are just a few enjoyable methods to make it your individual.
- Colour your frosting. Add a few drops of gel food coloring to the buttercream so as to add coloration to this dessert. You may coloration the entire cake or simply pipe some coloured swirls on high.
- Add a drip. Elevate your cake and use my tutorial for including a chocolate (or white chocolate) drip.
- Beautify with buttercream rosettes. Much like this ice cream cake tutorial, you should use buttercream to high your cake with lovely and straightforward rosettes.
- Sprinkles. I like including sprinkles to my desserts. Maintain it a little bit extra reserved, just like the cake within the pictures, or press sprinkles all the way in which up the perimeters. There are lots of fun options.
- Use different meals. I like utilizing different meals for adorning! Organize contemporary fruit on high, add some toasted coconut or cookie crumbs, or high together with your favourite sweet. All would look nice!
Can I Use This Recipe To Make Cupcakes?
Sure! You may really discover that recipe in my Straightforward Home made Vanilla Cupcakes. The recipe is minimize in half and makes about 12-14 cupcakes. You’ll make the cake batter and buttercream as regular (simply much less of it), add the batter to cupcake liners after which bake for 15-18 minutes.
How you can Retailer a Frosted Layer Cake
After cooling and frosting, switch the cake to an hermetic cake service or wrap it in a double layer of plastic wrap. If you happen to go the plastic wrap route, I counsel utilizing toothpicks to prop the plastic wrap away from the buttercream swirls.
Alternatively, you possibly can slice the cake and prepare the slices in a single layer in an hermetic container. In any case, retailer the cake at room temperature for as much as 24 hours or within the fridge for as much as 4 days. This cake is finest loved at room temperature, so for those who select to refrigerate it, let it sit on the counter for an hour or so earlier than diving it.
Can I Freeze Layer Cake?
You may! I sometimes advocate freezing the layers previous to frosting. Wrap them properly in clear wrap and aluminum foil previous to freezing. Thaw the cake layers in fridge previous to frosting. If you happen to’d like, you might strive freezing the complete cake. In that case, pop the absolutely frosted cake within the freezer for a few hours to agency up earlier than wrapping it in a double layer of plastic wrap. You may as well slice the cake and wrap the person slices in clear wrap and foil. Retailer the cake within the freezer for as much as 3 months. Thaw the cake within the fridge in a single day earlier than permitting it to return to room temperature earlier than serving.
Extra Vanilla Cake Recipes:
Vanilla desserts are the king of all desserts and as I discussed earlier than, I’ve acquired many to strive. This moist vanilla layer cake is my absolute favourite however listed below are another fabulous recipes so that you can strive.
Moist Vanilla Layer Cake Recipe
Prep Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Prepare dinner Time: 25 minutes
Complete Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
Yield: 12-14 slices
Everybody must know the best way to make this moist vanilla layer cake. Three layers of moist, fluffy vanilla cake are crammed and frosted with wealthy vanilla buttercream. It’s completely heavenly.
- 2 1/2 cups (325g) all goal flour (measured correctly)
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup (168g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups (310g) sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 4 giant eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups (300ml) milk, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups (560g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 10 cups (1150g) powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 6–8 tbsp (90ml-120ml) heavy cream
- Pinch of salt
- Sprinkles, for adorning
For the Cake:
- Put together three 8 inch cake pans with parchment paper circles within the backside and grease the perimeters. Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium sized bowl and put aside.
- Add the butter, sugar, oil and vanilla extract to a big mixer bowl and beat collectively till gentle in coloration and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Don’t skimp on the creaming time.
- Add the eggs one after the other, mixing till largely mixed after every. Scrape down the perimeters of the bowl as wanted to make sure all components are properly integrated.
- Add half of the dry components to the batter and blend till largely mixed.
- Slowly add the milk and blend till properly mixed. The batter will look curdled, however that’s okay.
- Add the remaining dry components and blend till properly mixed and easy. Scrape down the perimeters of the bowl as wanted to make sure all components are properly integrated. Don’t over combine the batter.
- Divide the batter evenly between the desserts pans and bake for 22-25 minutes, or till a toothpick comes out with just a few crumbs.
- Take away the desserts from the oven and permit to chill for about 2-3 minutes, then take away to cooling racks to chill fully.
For the Frosting:
- To make the frosting, beat the butter till easy.
- Slowly add half of the powdered sugar and blend till easy.
- Add the vanilla extract, 4-5 tablespoons of heavy cream, and salt and blend till easy.
- Slowly add the remaining powdered sugar and blend till easy. Add further heavy cream, as wanted to get the appropriate consistency of frosting.
To Assemble the Cake:
- To place the cake collectively, use a big serrated knife to take away the domes from the highest of the desserts in order that they’re flat. These desserts don’t have a big dome, however I like to ensure they’re fully flat.
- Place the primary cake on a serving plate or a cardboard cake spherical.
- Unfold about 1 cup of frosting evenly on high of the cake.
- Add the second layer of cake and one other cup of frosting.
- High the cake with the remaining layer and frost the surface of the cake. Discuss with my tutorial for frosting a easy cake, if wanted.
- Press sprinkles into the perimeters of the cake.
- Pipe swirls of frosting across the high fringe of the cake. I used Ateco tip 844.
- Add just a few extra sprinkles to the highest of the cake. Retailer in an air-tight container. The cake is finest for 3-4 days.
- Serving Dimension: 1 Slice
- Energy: 977
- Sugar: 107.2 g
- Sodium: 223.3 mg
- Fats: 51.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 127.9 g
- Protein: 5.8 g
- Ldl cholesterol: 175.4 mg
Key phrases: vanilla layer cake, moist vanilla cake recipe, simple vanilla layer cake
This submit might comprise affiliate gross sales hyperlinks. Please learn my disclosure coverage.